Tuesday 24 August 2021

Scavenger Photo Hunt - Dog 📷🐶

 Welcome to the third word of the Scavenger Photo Hunt for August. As always, anyone can join in with whatever inspires you and I can always add it after the sign up is closed. Here I am, late again.
This week's word is -


Dog
The first seven photos were taken by my Father, I wasn't into picture taking quite yet!
This was Sheba, an Alsatian. She came over with us from Wales when we moved here to the states in 1969.
🐶


And this is Lassie (so original), she also came over with us... I think?


This is Sir Winston Churchill, a St. Bernard. All I remember is that he slobbered all over the place and he was my older brother's dog.
Please excuse my outfit, no way would I have chosen to wear that together!
 

Here's Hannibal, a Great Pyrenees. He was another slobberer, but a sweetie. Also my older brother's dog.


Finally, this is the pup I picked out, little Tigerlily. She was a Pekingese. She was definitely my dog, such a love. And she seemed to speak to you when she snorted, which was quite a lot!


After her, my parents got Beijing, another Peke. He looks like a little terror here!
It's been Pekes for them ever since.


Then there was Tennessee, Tenny for short.


And their most recent addition, Miss Addie. She's a special delivery for sure! She adores my Momma, and the feeling is mutual.


Here is Chewbacca (Chewie), our first dog as a family. He's a rescue and he's supposedly a Lab/Rhodesian Ridgeback. Sometimes it looks like he has a Pit face.


Here he is with his brother, Zoom. DH's best friend adopted him after we told him about Chewie.


I changed the dog for this one, it's little Kita, a cousin's sweet dog.


I stitched this for Karen, sadly she now only has Mr. Henry.
And here's the little turkey himself!


I stitched this for a friend with several dogs, but I still need to fully finish it!


Although I have some sad news with Chewie. We are going to have to rehome him. 95% of the time, he's fantastic. He's been to boot camp x2, listens without much reinforcement, and we finally have his food aggression figured out. BUT, he has bitten me before. I was too near his food I think, and he jumped at my face. The thing we can't seem to correct is his growling at the Gmen, especially Gman2. He hasn't quite learned the pecking order here and fights them over it. Last week when I wasn't home, he bit at Gman2 and got his hand while it was in his pocket. When Chewie growls and shows his teeth, it's quite scary!
I think he needs to be with a single person, or a couple with no children. Although he loves Nathan and his friends when they're over.
This has been a really difficult decision for us, but I can't imagine putting him down.With the right person(s), I think he'd be fine. Or am I wrong to think that will be all it will take?

9 comments:

Cathy said...

I loved seeing you grow up with your dogs. I'm sorry about your having to rehome Chewie, but it sounds like it's for the best!

Threads through my life said...

Love the pictures of you, especially with the huge dogs. I could not tolerate all that slobber! At least rehoming Chewie will give him another chance. Fingers crossed it works out for him.

Vickie said...

So neat to see all the dogs in your life Astrid. I had a Pekingese when I was a girl too. We rescued him. I am so very sorry to hear about Chewie. I think you are making the right choice to try again. As long as the new owner knows what they are getting into, it is worth another chance to save his life, definitely.

Carol said...

What a fab selection of photos and how sad that you are going to have to rehome Chewie … whilst theoretically it is clearly the right thing to do … I imagine it’s been a rotten decision to have to make, take care 😃

Linda said...

What beautiful dogs you have over the years. I think your right in getting rid of him if hes aggressive towards the family.

Linda

Susan Smith said...

Lots of amazing dogs there & pity you may have to rehome the little one. I keep missing the link due to NBN issues, but have been joining in. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to link. Things are just so complicated here at the moment with our hard lockdown, i'net issues & woeful weather. Thanks for hosting these, take care & hugs.

Faith... said...

You have had a lot of dogs in your family and your brother certainly liked large dogs!

I am so sorry to hear about Chewie. I am sure it is the right decision but I know it is still hard. Maybe his brother has room in his dog house for him? I just hope you are able to find him a good home. I will miss reading about him.

Jak said...

What a lot of large dogs in your life either yours or your brothers. I agree with all the others about rehoming Chewie. It will be sad for you but much better for him. It gives him another chance, you obviously did your best for him but he still resents your GMen. Perhaps he is jealous of them. Good luck to Chewie in his new home. Thanks for hosting this blog. xx

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh how I envy you that Saint Bernard!! I have wanted one forever and came very close once, but remembered the slobbering aspect and let myself be talked out of it. Still regret it. Enjoyed seeing all the photos!
I'm so sorry about Chewie, but sometimes a dog seems to have that aggressive nature no matter what you do. He's large enough that he could really hurt someone so re-homing to someone with less interaction with people is probably a good idea. Sad though.