Saturday 29 August 2020

Friday's Stitching Ground ♿

Since Tuesday, I've been at my parents house and I'll be here until Sunday. Here's where I've been stitching in the evenings,
I'm in the bedroom in the basement.


I'm still working on Happy Thanksgiving, but also on some other smaller pieces during the week. Dexter has been keeping me company down here, maybe I should have brought Max with me? Especially since I saw a baby snake in the bathroom this afternoon... WTH?! Dad read about putting out glue traps and when the snake gets stuck on it, spray oil on it to make it easy for it to escape - outside of course!


Anyway, I think I might have made the leaf choice a little harder, I can't figure out which one to use now. The one the left is what I used for the lower leaves and I think it's too light. The one on the right is what I used for the upper leaves and I think there might be too much brown in it. I thought the bottom one might have been an option, but now I'm thinking it's too dull. Thoughts?


The reason I'm here is because my Dad had carpal tunnel surgery on Wednesday and I needed to be here to help out with my Mom since he can't do it one handed.
And let me tell you, he does everything in the house, from the shopping, cooking, laundry, cleaning (although they did finally find someone to help with that), taking care of the dog, and the most important thing he does is take care of my Momma.
From the time she wakes up in the morning - helping her get out of bed and getting to the bathroom, helping her get dressed, and then getting her in her chair, either in the living room or her room with the tv. Breakfast is a protein drink, so at least that's easy. Making her coffee the way she likes it, tea several times a day, and her juice, all have to be thickened.
Of course all that drinking means trips to the bathroom and helping her while in there! She needs help walking there or getting in the wheelchair if she's been sitting in the living room. Then it's dinner (lunch) time, her hot meal that needs to be pureed so that can take some time. At least for her tea (dinner), it's easier with a pudding, applesauce, or yogurt. And we can't forget that she has her meds 5x's a day.
Then it's time for bed soon after that, back into the bathroom, lotions applied, wheeled into the bedroom with eye drops, lotion of her face and hands and don't forget the feet!
Sometimes I worry more about my Dad doing so much, he's always tired and so having a little break now and then is a good thing. I'll be back next month when he has his other hand done.


Oh, and don't forget taking Miss Addie out for her walks several times a day!


But at least that means we get to see some deer, there are plenty of them and Addie thinks she can get them.


This morning I got to sleep in a little bit, Dad actually got Momma out of bed with one hand and had her in her room before he woke me up. He had some tests and bloodwork he needed to have done at 8am and I had to take him. I waited in the car and this was my view. I'm starting to see some colour in the trees!


And hey, there are lots of memories down in the basement, yearly family photos! These aren't all of them, but some of them. We try and do this with our family too, but it doesn't have to be formal. Oh my, those fashions, just a little scary. Do you have scary photos like these in your house?!

13 comments:

Mary said...

Your going to be a huge help to your father, he certainly does alot!! I hope your Mom has a fast recovery. I'm not partial to the brown leaves, I would prefer more colorful ones. Such great family photos!!! ( I have always wanted a bed like that!)

Vickie said...

Holy Smokes does your father ever do a lot every single day!!! God bless him! No wonder he is tired! I hope and pray all goes well with his wrist. I agree with Mary. Less brown. I do like the brighter, darker colors though.

Linda said...

Love all of the family photos Astrid. My parents weren't into picture taking. About the only ones I have are my yearly school pictures. I think you should leave all of the different colored leaves in the piece.

Linda

Cathy said...

I'm glad you were/are available to help your dad! It doesn't seem like he has much time for himself though. I like the colorful leaves best.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I think your parents could do with a home help for a while! But your Dad does look pleased at having his lovely daughter back at home to help.
I like the DMC variegated brown for the leaves. I like that series of colours.
The deer is beautiful. We still get them in our garden, they wander up from the marshes where they live.
We do have some photos at Mum's house but mostly just of us children. The only one of my parents on display was their wedding photo.

Faith... said...

Your Dad sounds like Superman! I am sure he doesn't mind one minute of it though as that is what love does. I agree with Jo, he could probably use a home health aide to come in, if not every day than two or three times a week to give him a hand. He could probably use that time to run errands or grocery shop. My daughter LOVES to go thru the old family photos and have me explain who is who. Hope your Dad heals quickly!

RJ said...

You have quite a wonderful Dad Astrid and it is evident how much he loves your Mom. I'm happy you are there to help him. I love that stitch you are working on...I look forward to seeing more. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Mad Englishwoman said...

Thank you for telling us about your parents. I'm so sorry about your mother.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Your Dad looks a lovely chap, he is a star doing so much for your Mum. I am indebted to my Hubby helping me with my broken arm. Autumn is certainly on the way.

Barb said...

I'm sure your dad appreciates the help. Can he get help with your mom from an agency when you leave? I like your CS piece, I think all three of the varigated floss skeins should be used.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your Dad has the most wonderful smile! His eyes just sparkle. Sounds like he's one in a million and your mom is more than blessed to have him.
Regarding the leaf question - could you try blending strands of the different colours together for some of the leaves? That way it would make them look as though they 'belonged' together and yet still be different. I'm sure you've already thought of that!

Christine Williams said...

What a wonderful father you have. It takes a lot of commitment. He serves your mother lovingly. I'm sure he appreciates the help, but more importantly, your company.
I'm not sure what to do about the leaves, so I'm not going to comment on them.
photo's of the past....... Yes, I've tons tons of them that are a little scary. I remember two from my childhood though. One I'm with my sister in a mud puddle. We have sand buckets on our head & we are pouring that muddy water over our heads lol.
The other one I think was meant to be like the ones you showed, little bit semi formal. Well lets just say I wasn't having any of it. which makes it even better.

Barb said...

That is such a tribute to their marriage. when I broke my back, my DH had lots of duties but it was just for a short tome. Having you there must be a big help and joy to them both. The pictures?!! Yes my dear sister has a wall like that and I had to threaten her!!!!!!!Take that one of me down or I will put up one of yours that will be just as bad! She did!!!!!