Friday 24 December 2021

Day 24 of the Online Advent Calendar 🎄

Welcome to day...

I hope you have been following along with Jo @Serendipitous Stitching's Online Advent Calendar this year, with so many wonderful posts full of lovely stitching, tree photos, and stories from other stitchers. I've joined in since the beginning and have enjoyed every year!
Our question this year is about our Christmas tree, the traditions, ornaments, and whether we use a Star or Angel on top.

As you can see (sort of) we have an Angel on our trees. Although we've talked about replacing this one because we're not keen on it flashing and would like a change. And is she actually an Angel if she's really Mary holding baby Jesus?
Since we've been in the "new" house, we've finally been able to have a large tree, I think this might be our biggest one yet.


This one is in our basement, it's an artificial one and very simple. I used to put all handmade ornaments on it, but now it has our family names on it as well as lots of the White House ornaments that come out yearly.


This is where all the stitched ones are now, included mine, gifts from friends, and exchange pieces. It's normally in my craft room window, but this year it's sort of just hanging around.


The photos of all these trees were taken while Cori and I were in Pennsylvania earlier this week. They are all so beautifully decorated, even the gingerbread trees. It's alway fun to see the whisk tree in the kitchen shop. 


This was taken earlier this month during Midnight Madness in Ellicott City. 
Looks like a live tree to me with a star on top!


A few Christmas stitching pieces.




My most recent finish, although it's not fully finished yet. I made this for my Momma, she'll probably put it her room year round.


Just for fun, I'm going to the wayback machine to show more Christmas trees through the years.

This is my Momma on Christmas Eve, 1959, at Black Notley Hospital after walking about seven miles from Coggeshall with her beloved Christmas tree. Nothing was stopping her getting a tree!


My parents tree in 1960, "We couldn't afford a Christmas tree having just moved into the bungalow that summer but my cousin decided to remedy that with a bread knife, scaling the fence of H.M. Forestry and brought back this beauty! Ulrike was living in dread we would be raided by the police!"


This was our first Christmas in the states, 1969, in Virginia. That bike wasn't mine (I was two), it my was big brother's. I'm hoping it was really a red bike because it looks pink to me!


This was after we moved to our house in Maryland, I was four years old. The ornament I'm holding was made by a neighbour there, and I think they still have it.
My goodness, they really liked adding all that tinsel!


This sweet tree was in my Momma's chapel years ago, probably the first live one they've had since moving here. This one has actual candles on it like she used to have growing up in Germany.


I will leave you with Mary's Sampler from Plum Street Sampler.
May the love of Christ and the warmth that comes with this holy season remain with you and make your holidays the best ever. Wishing you a very Happy Christmas and a special thank you to Jo for once again putting together this year's Advent Calendar and those who participated in it.

11 comments:

diamondc said...

Astrid: You have so many beautiful memories from Christmas Past, I love the photo fo your Mother with her positively beautiful tree, its makes my heart smile.
All your Christmas designs are lovely, I hope you show us a finished ornament for your Mother, I really like the heart charm you added.
You are so cute hulding the handmade ornament.
All your trees are beautiful.

Merry Christmas
Catherine

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I loved this post Astrid - all the wonderful trees to see. Must admit that one make of whisks is amazing!!!
As for what's on top of our tree - it's varied over the years and a couple of years ago we decided it was time to replace the ratty-looking angel we had. Well...guess what....we couldn't find anything we liked. So, out of desperation last year, I stuck one of my teddy bears on top of the tree. This year we completely forgot about even so much as looking for a new topper and...guess what....out came the teddy bear again, only this time I 'dressed' it in a very crudely created 'Christmas frock'. Who knows what next year might bring!!

Denise :) said...

This was such a delightful post ... I loved all your pictures and memories! Such wonderful ones! I especially enjoyed seeing the lit candles on the pretty tree; so beautiful! Merry, merry Christmas to you and yours!! :)

FlashinScissors said...

Loved seeing all your trees, and such great stories about them!
Wonderful photo of your mum - no more than a lass in this photo!
Enjoyed seeing your Christmas stitcheries too!
Nice to be visiting here again.
A Merry Christmas to you and the family!
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar this year (and every year!). I love all your different tree photos, such a variety including a human one! Of course the best stories are the family stories, even the poaching of the Queen's tree, I am sure she wouldn't mind a little one going missing LOL

A Patchwork of Crafts said...

Thank you for sharing all those fun and beautiful trees. It makes me realise how few Christmas tree pictures we took. Oh and for anyone waiting to pop back and see my glass fish I have updated my day one advent entry to include them now.

jocondine said...

Hi, hope your Christmas was great! Thanks for sharing all those great pictures with us, love the "Lady tree" too and your stitching with the angel and bird is a lovely pattern. What about a "dragon-angel" on the top of the tree. Joyeuses fêtes de fin d'année ! xxx

Katie said...

Great post. Merry Christmas!

Sheryl said...

What wonderful trees you have shown us, all so very different over the years. Lovely stitching too.

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks for sharing all your fun trees and stories with us!

Mary's Thread said...

I'm late checking out the last Advent BLog Hop posts as my December got so busy, but I am sure am glad I stopped by to see all the beautiful trees and traditions of your family! I absolutely love the "vintage" pictures. They are so heartwarming. Especially the tinsel! And I love a tree with real candles on it. I have seen those once or twice from German friends and while they scare me (!) I think they are so beautiful.