Friday 18 February 2022

A Stitching Retreat Bonus 🥰

Since the Super Bowl stitching retreat was in New Jersey, and since I was driving near Edison, I decided to visit family friends.
Terry and my Dad have been penfriends since they were 15 years old. She lived in NJ and he in the UK.
Here is one of the photos she sent him.


This is when we first moved to the states in 1969, we stayed with them for a week before heading to DC for my Dad to start his job at the World Bank.
Mom, Dad, my older brother, and me (with the handbag!) Terry and her two kiddos, I guess Bob took the photo.


I saw them years ago when the Gmen were toddlers, but not since then. It was so lovely to see them for the afternoon and will definitely visit again when I'm near them for another stitching retreat.


Their sweet girl, Susie.


Their daughter, Laurie, is only a few years older than me and here are some of the times we got together.


On my way home, I was able to meet her for brunch! I think it had been over 36 years since we had seen each other and she hadn't changed at all - still a sweetheart! I look forward to seeing her again, hopefully sooner than the same time next year!


And because I didn't show what I was stitching at the retreat, here it is.


I'd like to think I'll finish it by this Halloween, we'll see!


9 comments:

Clare-Aimetu said...

What an amazing time you had, great photos of times gone by and so lovely that you could meet up again. Great stitching too.

Stasi said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip full of lovely memories!

Vickie said...

What an amazing friendship!! Thank you for sharing these lovely photos and memories. :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Penpals - I wonder if they're still a 'thing' amongst young people. I had several when I was about the same age as your dad and still have contact with one in the UK. I suppose penpals these days would be on the computer so in the broad sense we could say our blogging friends are penpals. Lucky you to be able to visit with them.

Cathy said...

I'm sure the visit generated a lot of memories, especially with the photos as reminders1

Faith... said...

How cool for your Dad and family to still be in touch with his pen pal for all those years! I bet they enjoyed seeing you and catching up.

What a cool Halloween stitch and it maybe one I need to get!! Now I am off to look for it!!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

How lovely to meet up with old family friends. It's nice that you have quite a few old photos too.
The Halloween Quaker is very sweet too.

diamondc said...

Astrid: How lovely you were able to visit with friends, it seems so many people have lost touch in the last couple of years, you are very lucky to have kept them in your heart and visit.
Lovely start on your design, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Catherine

Katie said...

Fantastic to visit old friends. Neat new piece. Good luck with it.