Sunday 28 August 2011

Hurricane Irene & a Wedding



 
Our friends got married in the midst of Hurricane Irene and survived!  
They were married at Sequoia, located at the Georgetown Waterfront.  This is the view from the restaurant, looking at the Kennedy Center.


 

 You can see the rain in the background and thankfully it didn't flood there like it did in April!








Here they are with just to show Irene that she didn't spoil their wonderful evening!

So I had to drive home from Georgetown at midnight, fun, fun!  It was raining and very windy with some tree limbs down along the way, but overall it was fine.  It took a little longer, only because I was driving slow to avoid hitting anything in the road.








At 2am, I was jolted out of bed by having this tree limb fall right over our bedroom.  Luckily it wasn't as bad as I thought and there doesn't seem to be any damage.  Paul had celebrated during the reception, so he slept right through it!

And here we have a huge tree limb that fell just down the road from us.  This side of the road still has power, but I don't think the other side does!  This was taken in the  morning and we just walked down this evening and it's still the same.





The gmen were supposed to start school tomorrow, but we found out that schools are closed.  Oh well, it was only 1/2 day anyway!  
We are very thankful that we didn't lose power and that the storm wasn't as bad as it could have been.

3 comments:

mdgtjulie said...

What a mess. I hope they get it all cleaned up soon. And I'm glad your friends put a smile on and made the best of it!! Congrats to the happy couple.

Jan said...

Well, that's a day they'll never forget. I hear it is good luck to get married on a rainy day, so they should have great luck!
Glad that branch didn't weigh more and that you came through okay. We just had some small limbs in the front yard, nothing as bad as your neighborhood.

DJ said...

Glad to hear that you are ok, and so is your house! I was in Washington on Saturday too, but didn't get home as late as you did, I'm so glad to hear you are safe! My son didn't go to school today either, nor did I work...the lights are out at the shopping center. Just means more time to stitch! *Hugs*