Tuesday 1 March 2022

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!

It's that time of year again, Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!
That's Happy St. David's Day to those who don't know Welsh. 😉
"Saint David, or Dewi Sant, as he is known in the Welsh language, is the patron saint of Wales. He was a Celtic monk, abbot and bishop, who lived in the sixth century. During his life, he was the archbishop of Wales, and he was one of many early saints who helped to spread Christianity among the pagan Celtic tribes of western Britain." There's a mini lesson for you!


This is me, taken in Wales before we moved to the states in 1969.


This year's display.


The Welsh love spoon my Nana Nesta and Pop gave us when we got engaged.


They also gave me this one when I turned 18 in the UK.


These are a couple "oldies".


I made this one for my Dad a few years ago.


I added the Welsh Dragon to this March stitch.


Another oldie, Nathan enjoying the Welsh cakes he helped me make! I haven't made any yet this year, I think I'll wait until I see my parents so they can enjoy them too.


My daffodils have never bloomed in time.


But this one is from April years ago.


The Welsh flag flying high at my parents house.


With Pop, visiting family in Maesteg, they still live there.


My Dad just recently received this photo from a relative in Wales. This is my grandparents grave at Llangynwyd Church. He added the * where it's written in Welsh. (Although it's not that hard to figure out!)


I think since tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, I might make some Welsh Rarebit, Leek and Potato Soup, and Bara Brith for dinner... we'll see!

4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This was fun to read - I'm sorry to say I'm lacking in my knowledge of Wales and to my sorrow I didn't get time to go there when I was in England. I would have loved to have gone both there and to Ireland.

Clare-Aimetu said...

Lovely to see St David being celebrated overseas. I have no Welsh blood but have always felt an attachment to such a beautiful country. Our daughter lives in South Wales and her partner is from Cwmbran. Yesterday we had potato, leek and Welsh cheese pie and I baked a Bara Brith with the fruit soaked in Welsh whisky (photos in my Aimetu's blog)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What an adorable little Welsh Girl!
Lovely to see your displays and older photos too.
I do have a couple of daffodils in my garden right now. It must be a sheltered spot.

Barb said...

What an interesting post ! Plus i learned some things about Whales! Great photos of you as a child. I hope your parents enjoy the day!