Thursday 22 July 2021

Birthday/Christmas in July 🌲

A dear friend of my Dad's celebrated her 90th birthday last week. She lives in Britain, but married an American way back when and they lived in North Carolina for a while before eventually returning to the UK. Her husband had an old red truck while they were in NC, so this was a reminder of it for her since it's just her now.
This Mill Hill pattern was for a red car, but I converted it to a truck.


Last week I spend some time with my parents before I took my Mom to have her 2nd cataract surgery on Friday. Dad found this jar of mincemeat and decided we needed a pie since he didn't make mince pies last Christmas.


He even added the decorations to make it official!
He also added Brandy to the whipped cream, delicious and truly a Christmas treat. 
It was good, but not quite as good as his mince pies.
I might have to help make them this year, that way I can take some home to enjoy!


My Momma after her surgery, she's doing great and very happy not to have to wear her glasses anymore. Except for her "cool" sunglasses!

5 comments:

Vickie said...

So glad your Mom's surgery went well. What a nice, thoughtful gift that little red truck is. :)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What a great thing that your Mom's surgery went well! I haven't had mince pie in years but as I remember it I didn't like it much. Mind you, I was a kid then and my tastes have definitely changed. (cute wee truck, btw)

Linda said...

Glad your mom is doing good after her surgery Astrid. I finally got brave and had my good eye done last year. The smartest thing I ever did. Love your red truck.

Linda

Cathy said...

I'm glad your mom's surgery went well. And, I love what you did with the ornament. I don't know that I've ever had/tasted a mince pie though.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Cool shades!
The red truck is a lovely Ornament and a great reminder of her time in the US as we don't really have them here.
We do have mince pies! I am surprised other commenters haven't tried them. Are they not ubiquitous at Christmas in America?
I don't actually like the mincemeat so Mum used to make a large open tart with mincemeat one side and jam the other for me! With a pastry lattice to separate the two!