Friday 5 February 2021

Scavenger Photo Hunt - February 📷

  Wow, it's already February? Well, welcome to the Scavenger Photo Hunt from Katie @I live, I love, I craft, I am me... This week, it's...


A Lovely Memory...
This was a tough one to choose just one memory, so let's just say it's memories of Devon. In spite of me forgetting so many things, I do have wonderful memories of spending summers there with my family. My Dad took most of these, but there are a few that I took.

This was taken in 1976 (I think?), Dad and I were there on our own. Here I am posting a card to my Mom and brother at home in the states. I think they had been to Germany earlier in the summer?
We did a lot of driving that summer in Wales and Devon, I had my Dad sing this song constantly - 16 Tons!


My older brother got married at the All Saints Church in Clovelly in 1985, and we rented Clovelly Court and had the reception there. This was the second time we stayed there.


The entrance to the house. I'm sure the clock has been fixed since this photo!


A little sulky at 17?!
Way behind me is the ocean, we walked there one day and I think that was the only time we did it.


One the day of the wedding, it was absolutely beautiful! Which was a good thing because more people showed up than were expected and tables had to be set up outside the marquee.


This was one of the pictures that was taken inside of the house. I wish I had been more into taking photos back then, there were so many things I wish I had pictures of.


The summer house in the back garden.


From what I've seen online, it looks like the gardens have been flourishing since the last time we were there!


I stitched this for my parents way back when because it reminded me of Clovelly.


While we were there one summer, we took a boat ride to Lundy Island from Clovelly Quay. That's a ride I'd like to forget!


Another place we rented was Ducksberry, very close to Clovelly and Hartland.


Wow, a beautiful house with fantastic views. According to my Dad, this was built in the 1930's by a man who wanted to hide away his mistress! It was definitely private, with no running water or electricity, it was certainly an experience. Luckily Dad's aunt and uncle lived in Hartland and we went there for showers and lovely local fish and chips!


The view from the cliff, looking at Hartland in the distance.


This was the walk to the beach from Ducksberry.


Thank you, Katie, for having me go back down memory lane. I really have some wonderful memories of being with family and friends during those summers. I've always said I want to take my family to the places I remember, but I'm sure so much has changed since then it might not be the same.

Be sure to take a look at what other memories are out there!


13 comments:

Carol said...

That truly is a beautiful part of the country and one of our favourites too ... though we tend to tip into Cornwall with Bude being a very regular holiday spot for us, Mum and dad have a touring thy keep down there so all of that coast is very well explored and loved by us all. Not sure whether mum will fancy the caravan by herself but I do hope we all continue to spend time down there 😊

Susan Smith said...

Lovely post & I've been to Clovelly some years ago on one of our trips & it is beautiful. Certainly some memories in those photos & don't we wish we'd all taken photos when younger, but remember the old cameras photos to be developed & lots of mine never came out or were shockers. We are spoiled these days with digital, but I so like being able to delete & take another if it's no good. Thanks for sharing, take care, stay safe & hugs.

Threads through my life said...

What a lovely place; I've never been there. Part of me would like to live on a cliff top but .... anyway I do like where we live!

Vickie said...

I enjoyed this post very much Astrid. So beautiful. :)

Linda said...

Wow. Absolutely amazing pictures Astrid. Thank you for sharing.

Linda

Tigermouse said...

Some great pictures and lots of lovely memories there. I like the shot of the house down the lane, it's a very pretty view :-)

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your photos were such fun to see. I must say the summer house is my favourite. I would love to sit inside and enjoy a cup of tea with scones and clotted cream. Very posh!

Katie said...

Wow. Wonderful memories thanks for sharing. I love that isolated house. I want our next house to be like that haha. No neighbors!

kjsutcliffe said...

Oh what a lovely post filled with such lovely memories - thank you for sharing them with us x

Mad Englishwoman said...

Lovely picture of you, and I'm so glad your happy memory was in my part of the world (Devon)! I'm curious about your history. Are you British or American? Did you live in the UK at one time?

Jak said...

What a lot of lovely memories. I too wish I had taken more pictures of when I was younger as we always toured round Britain when we came here on leave from Northern Rhodesia (Zambia) in the 1950's.

Fil said...

What a lovely part of the world - great memories. And you're so right about taking photos back then - there are so many things I wish I still had pictures of.

Faith... said...

What a beautiful country! These are some very beautiful memories of things you have done with your family and I am sure they are memories that will last well into everyone's lifetime! Did your brother's bride come from there or just want to have their wedding there? Do you still visit there since you have family there?