Saturday 24 November 2012

Flying High, Naturally


Follow that truck!

DH and I won a balloon ride for two through an auction at the gmen's school... two years ago!  I pulled it out and noticed it expired this year, so I called and made our reservation.  Although I'm not quite sure why I bid on it, I don't like heights - AT ALL!  I don't even like walking up the stairs to go down a water slide! 
I blame this fear on my Dad, he doesn't like heights either.  When I was nine, we were at the Notre Dame Cathedral and I was on the balcony looking down.  My Dad?  He was flat up against the building telling me to come away from there, the building is old and it/I could fall at any time!  When we were outside (and safe), I looked up and told him we could have gone even higher... pretty sure he grabbed me and ran!
Pretty sure that started my fear of heights.  Although I did go zip lining while in Hawaii with the family several years ago - but I was a total tree hugger.  Scared to death, but loved it!

It was an absolutely beautiful, sunny day, about 50 something degrees, just a bit windy.  We drove to Boyce, Virginia, about 1.5 hours away.  After we met the pilot, his wife, and the other couple going on the ride, we drove to the field at White Post Restorations to set up the balloon.  We took a peek in the windows of the garage doors at the old cars they were working on, way cool! 



See the orange balloons? We want them looking like that, not flying horizontal, otherwise we wouldn't be going up!  It was a little windy when we got there, we almost weren't able to go.  Luckily, the wind slowed down and we got ready.

Here we are getting the balloon ready to be inflated.  Fans are used to get the air in, much quicker than blowing it up!  I was hoping to take more pictures of it being filled, but I had to come help hold the basket down in case it started to get away!  We also had to be close by to jump in as quick as possible, didn't want to be left behind.




Up we go... I would have filmed it from the beginning, but I was too busy holding on for dear life!  What was I thinking?  Will the bottom fall out of the basket?  Stop moving around!

 

Even DH was a little shaky taking his pictures so I didn't feel as bad.


I loved seeing the balloon shadow behind us.


My dream house?

One thing I noticed was all the dogs barking as we went by.  Found out it was because they can hear the high pitch from the flame.  I thought they just didn't like the balloon, which I guess they really didn't!  The cows just ran away from us.



Good thing it wasn't balloon season.

Higher, higher!  Did I really say that?!

LOVED it and can't wait to go again. 
All good things must come to an end.  Paul took this one as he ran to check on the field gate.
Paul helping bring the balloon down. 


Back on the truck it goes, until next time!  I highly recommend a balloon ride if you ever get the chance and if you're in our neck of the woods, call Bob - he was great!  We were probably up there just under an hour and the time just flew by.  You never know where you're going to land and on this trip, we landed in some one's field.  When his wife met up with us, no one was at home so she drove on through the fields to get us.  As we left the driveway, the owner was pulling in and couldn't figure out what was going on!  Bob thanked him for the use of his field (whether he liked it or not!) and offered him a bottle of champagne or cider.  I think he was in shock and said no thank you!

Perfect ending to a fantastic trip, a beautiful scene of the field we left from.

8 comments:

Kaisievic said...

What a great adventure - I have always wanted to go on a balloon ride - in Autumn here we see them nearly every morning. It looks like magic. Thank you so much for sharing.

Parsley said...

OH...MY...GOODNESS! Nope, I couldn't do it. Too scared. I'd pet a snake first. LOL

ricketyjo said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time!! We were meant to go on a balloon trip on our honeymoon in Melbourne, but it turned out that the weather was awful and we couldn't go. I was petrified that we would be doing it though, I'm not a fan of heights either, so I think you are very brave!!

Nicola said...

I have really enjoyed your post. What a wonderful experience, thank you for sharing.

Terri said...

You are braver than me! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Ann C. said...

The balloon colours are beautiful. I have always wanted to parachute, but this looks a lot safer! I might have to add this to my bucket list.

Faith... said...

Not sure I could actually do it but it looks like a lot of fun! Love your "dream house" :)

DJ said...

Wow, Astrid, that has always been a dream of mine...so glad you were able to overcome your fear, it sounds like you and Paul had a wonderful time. Maybe we could all go together? *Hugs*