Friday 28 December 2018

A Birthday Wish for My Momma🎂

On January 7th, my Mom will be 80 years old and she never thought she'd still be around!

At about 40, she was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and it's been a battle ever since. This time last year she was in the hospital and we thought she wouldn't make it, but yet she pulled through. She went through rehab and more hospital stays and ultimately needed a trach tube to help her breath better. She's unable to eat regular food and Dad has to make all of her meals pureed and her drinks need to be thickened. Needless to say, she's not very thrilled with her menu options!

 We went to visit them yesterday for Christmas and I stayed the night to spend more time with them since DH and the boys had to go back home. She wasn't doing very well, too much walking for her, and she almost couldn't make it to bed. This morning my Dad picked up her Prednisone from the drug store and soon after she had a dose, she was feeling a bit better and eventually walking around a little easier.
I don't know who I worry about more, her, or Dad who is exhausted taking care of her!

Doesn't she look amazing? You'd never know how she really feels, she doesn't like to complain.

We were going to have a big party for her 80th, but quite honestly, it would be too much for her to handle. My older brother and family are coming next week to visit with her, and I'm not sure when my younger brother can visit. The boys and I are planning on surprising her on her actual birthday since they'll still be home from college. I need to make her a dessert she can actually eat!

To make a long story short, she was thrilled to receive all the get well cards earlier in the year that so many of you sent her (thank you, thank you!) and I thought it would be nice for her to enjoy some birthday cards as well. Any takers? If you're interested, she's still at the same address as before, or I can sent it to you. I realize they might not make it for her actual birthday, but why not extend the celebration?! Or if it's easier to write a note and send it to me, I can print it out to put in a card and give it to her.

Thanks for "listening" to me ramble on!

12 comments:

Barb said...

Astrid, Please send me her address. I would love to send her a card! She is a blessing to you but you are also a blessing to your parents!!

Barb said...

I checked your blog again and I seem to miss when the exact date of her birthday. Please let me know that too.

Vickie said...

Dear Astrid I saved your Mom's address thinking I would need it again.😉 I will pick up a card today and mail her a birthday card. Let's hope it gets there on time.

Katie said...

I wish your mom a very happy birthday. It's so hard to watch our parents get old. This past year both of mine have showed how fragile life can be. So glad you get to go back and surprise her. Hope she continues to be healthy.

rosey175 said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! Pureed everything, o my. I would be living on Orange Julius or Jamba Juice I think...

Linda said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom Astrid. She looks great.

Linda

Cathy said...

You have a lovely family and your mom looks a lot better than I'm sure she feels. Please send me your mom's address and I'll be happy to send her a card.

Julie said...

I love the picture of you both together smiling and happy. x

Faith... said...

She fought a hard fight to get to 80 and I would be happy to send her a card. Not sure I have her address anymore so if you would send it to me again that would be awesome!

Bethan said...

Happy Birthday to your mum! If you'd like to send me her address, I will happily send her a card (I'm not the most organised so it may take a little bit of time!) x

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your Mum! She does look well in tha photo with you.
My MIL will also be eighty this year, she really does not seem like it at all!

RJ said...

I'm sorry I missed your Mom's birthday. I would have loved to send her a card. We have been going through some difficult health issues here with my husband and I have not been on the blogs since the holidays. Just catching up tonight. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever