Saturday 17 October 2020

Happy 80th to my Dad! 🎉

On October 6th, my Dad celebrated his 80th birthday!
Growing up, he never had many photos taken of him, but here are a couple. He says that's why he is always ready with his camera and tripod... say cheese!


He had plenty of curls, but when they were cut they never came back.
He sure was a cutie!


His turn for the birthday flag, Happy 80th!


Although it was a small celebration, with just Mom, their friend Kay, and myself. He requested chili for his meal, and it's something Mom enjoys even though it gets pureed.


Thank you to my blogging friends (Jo, Christine, Vickie, Dianna, Faith & Debbie) who sent a card to him, he was pleasantly surprised! And with one more on the way. Also the email and Instagram greetings.
He honestly doesn't need anything, and it's getting harder to find room for things to display in the house. So I thought I would get him a couple more mugs for tea, he drinks plenty of it! I also got him another Welsh flag to fly, they certainly wear out quickly flying on the flagpole in ALL types of weather. Oh, and a Welsh flag mask is coming too.


I sort of finished the Welsh Santa for him, but I'm just have to figure out the moustache and beard. I'm not really sure I like the beard, and I still need to add the moustache. I could cut the bottom of the beard so it wasn't so loopy, or maybe use beads instead? I might also tent stitch the background since he would like it in a frame. 
Thoughts, suggestions for either one?


Now that he's been diagnosed as a diabetic, I couldn't make a regular cake for him, so I made him a sugar-free cheesecake instead. I made it before for another friend, so I knew it wouldn't taste terrible! He enjoyed it and even my Momma could eat the cheesecake part, just not the crust. Poor Addie got nothing but some loving!


It was a beautiful day for a birthday.
This is the driveway to their house, with the chapel straight ahead.


Addie enjoys our walks, I let her sniff and pull me along where she wants to go, for the most part.


I ended up spending the night, an additional little birthday present! Nathan didn't have school the next day so it made it easier not to worry about getting him there.
I think Dad had a good day, in spite of this crazy year. Let's hope next year is better for us all!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

It sounds like a great day and your father looks so happy! I'm glad you could be with him for his birthday!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your dad is a handsome man with such a wonderful smile. Looks like it was a grand celebration, even though it might not have been what would have happened if the times were different.
As for the beard on the Santa - could you try cutting those loops and then 'fluffing' them (think it's called the tufted stitch or something similar) ? Might need to make a few more loops to make it fluffy enough - and then trim to the length you want. Just a thought!

Faith... said...

All those cute baby curls! Your Dad was an adorable baby and grew up into such a handsome man. If I saw him I don't even think I would say he looks like he is 80! He looks so happy and I am happy that he had an awesome day!

You could use some Wisper Threads to make the beard look full and bushy.

Barb said...

It looks like he had a wonderful day! He was a very cute little guy and is still a very handsome man!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I am so glad that my card arrived in time! It looks like you all had a lovely day. Celebrations are very different this year but it is still possible to have fun together.

Katie said...

What a great day. Thanks for sharing.