Thursday 4 May 2017

TH Thursday

THinking, THinking, THinking...

THinking THoughts, and being THankful on THursdays.


When was the last time someone said "Thank You" to YOU?
Last Saturday!
Tina invited me to River Valley Ranch to zip line as a thank you for volunteering at SHINE-FM's Sharathon. And Nathan was invited too!

We went in the Ninja Barn first, where Nathan got to climb around!



Under the Ninja Barn is a mini golf area, Nathan had fun playing there too.


Now he's ready for the big stuff - his 1st zip line!

We're both ready!

We need to go up waaay up there... let's hike!

🎜Over the river ♫ and through the ♬ woods...🎝


He was so brave, he didn't even want me to go next to him!

And here he goes...

I still don't like heights, but I had a great time going down. Maybe I'm getting over my fear!

Here's the rest of the group waiting to come down.

And fabulous Tina in the middle, flying in!

From there we took a look at the horse barn and horses.




We also had a fantastic lunch, made by Diana and her crew. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos, I was too busy eating!

This is Frontier Town, for the teens.



Short visit for Nathan!
  

Now this next part was pretty emotional for me, but in a good way. I still get teary eyed thinking about it.
This is Fort Roller, the overnight camp for 9-12 year olds.

The sign and forts were not here 38 years ago.

How do I know that? Because I was here 38 years ago.
But I didn't realize it until last year's Sharathon. Hearing others speak about it I wondered if this was the camp that my neighbours took me to one summer.

This is Sherry and Lloyd and they were like my other parents. I was friends with their son, Nathan, (no wonder I like that name!) who was three years younger than me, he was like another brother.
I showed this picture to Tina and she confirmed it was taken at RVR.
What a wonderful feeling it was, knowing that I had been there when I was twelve!

This is looking up toward were we ate and had gatherings. It's being renovated and it looks great.

 This was the cabin I remember being in.

I also remember this being the area I was in.

This was Nathan's cabin.

I always thought this picture was taken outside my cabin, but turns out it was Nathan's.
So sad, but Lloyd died in 2004, he was a great man and a wonderful father.

We sort of recreated the picture, just with my Nathan!

What can I say, Tina, thank you for thanking me and bringing back memories from younger me. I wish I could remember more, but I do remember having such a wonderful time there that I didn't want to come home! If only my parents had come to pick us up, I might have been able to talk them into letting me stay longer.
And what makes me happy? Now Nathan wants to go! He might go this year, but definitely next year. I only wish I could go with him, I would love to be a kid again and have carefree fun!
I love that this is a Christian based camp and even though I don't remember much from when I was there, I will make sure Nathan does!

Now I cheated with this picture because I forgot to get one of us together while we were there. This was taken at last year's Sharathon.

How has someone thanked you?

8 comments:

Vickie said...

Well this was a lovely post. I enjoyed watching Nathan zip down too. :D

Tiffstitch said...

That's wonderful! What great memories and what fun for Nathan too. A hug from DD or an unasked for kiss is always the perfect thanks.

Linda said...

What an awesome post Astrid. That looks like such a fun place to go.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

What a great post, that is a seriously long zipline!
How lovely that you remember the holiday you had and even the cabin! I hope that Nathan enjoys it as much as you did.
My colleague at work thanked me this morning because I came in on my day off and printed all the rotas and double checked them for errors!

deb said...

Well, I'll thank you right now! I had no idea RVR still existed!! OMG, I went there a bunch of times when I was growing up! (have I used enough exclamation marks yet, LOL?)

Is the Ninja Barn in the old mill building by any chance? The walls look like the lower level of the mill where they had the dining hall when I went. The large, dark green building (under Nathan's in-jail picture) looks really familiar too. The part you said is being renovated looks like what we called the "upper camp" - the cabins look just like the ones I stayed in the first couple times I was there - and so do the bunks! Oh my, what memories!! (38 years for you? Let me count ... last time I was there was ... maybe 43, 44 years ago?)

You were *very brave* going down that zip line!

DJ said...

Thanks for taking the zip line video!! Nathan was indeed very brave to go by himself. I would have whimpered and whined and probably declined even after that hike up the hill! LOL So many kids (I think Ben has been there too) from our church go to RVR for different activities. The kids just love it and I can see why! Great post, thanks for sharing!!

Faith... said...

Looks like the two of you enjoyed a wonderful Thank You Day! I too am scared of heights, especially like that but you were super brave to go zipping down! Looks like an amazing place to enjoy the day with so much to do! Thanks for sharing your day ;)

Ariadne said...

Such a great place to visit and sweet memories!AriadnefromGreece!