Friday 7 December 2012

Day Seven of Advent, Stockings all the way!


Welcome to day seven of Jo's advent calendar!  The theme this year is, "Stocking, Sack or Something Else?"  We are a stocking family, although different from when I was growing up.

But first, here's an oldie but a goodie I made for my parents years ago.  They still keep it on their wall all through the year.  I think it would look great with the nutcracker print I recently got framed, (thanks to DJ!) but I don't think my parents will give it up.



Ever since I was a little girl, mine was a true stocking... as in pantyhose.  You can take a look here at my last year's advent post to see what I mean.
 
 DH has at least three stockings, maybe even four, I wonder what made him so special?!  But he's only allowed to put one up, mustn't be greedy!  I never had a "real" stocking, so my MIL, aka Gammy, was sweet enough to give me one with my name on it.
I wish I could say I made these, but I can't. 

After all these years, Gammy doesn't have one of her own.  Or if she does, she doesn't put it out.  So when DJ came over earlier in the week to stitch, I decided I needed to finish the one I started to make her.  Although I'm embarrassed to say, I started it over 6 years ago and never finished.  And all it needed was fur and buttons! 
So here it is, nothing too fancy but it's her!  I'll surprise her with it on Christmas morning, hanging on our mantle.

Enjoy "opening" the rest of the Advent doors, I know I'm looking forward to seeing what others have posted.

14 comments:

Wendy said...

wow, your nutcracker picture is lovely! the stocking is fab, what a great shape!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Stockings definitely rule in your house!!

Thanks for taking part. I know Kathy will love your picture for today!

Katy said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Hello Astrid,
I am a new follower to your blog. I came from Jo's blog. I love the Pantyhose stocking story. You have some great looking stockings. I love the one you did for granny it is adorable. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to add you to my reading list so I can come back again. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Anne said...

Stocking hose! I love it! Glad Granny made you a real stocking to hang up, however, that hose can sure stretch :D How sweet of you to make a little booty stocking for her!!

DJ said...

Gammy's stocking looks great, she's going to adore it! Love the rest of the pictures too, and the pictures of your stockings from years ago! I saw the ornament I gave you last year in the picture with Gammy's stocking...LOL Too funny! *Hugs* See you soon!

Nicola said...

You have a very fine collection of stockings. I love your windows in the photo. The light must pour through them.

Vickie said...

ooOoo! I love that stocking for Grammy. I just had a memory of a similar pink stocking. I don't know who had it in my childhood, but I just remembered someone did!! Uh oh! New project. =)

Anonymous said...

Hello

Just found your blog.
Your stockings are beautiful and I love the one for Gammy.

Astrids dragon said...

Just in case you're wondering, the pattern for Gammy's boot can be found here - http://spoonful.com/crafts/fancy-boot-christmas-stocking - although I ended up sewing mine together a little different.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Great Nutcracker piece!

Faith... said...

Love the Boot stocking you made, I am sure she will love it!

Kerryp77 said...

fab stocking for grammy that would so suit my best friend!

Topcho said...

Wow, so many stockings! How awesome is that :D I so love that last stocking you made, it would def attract Santa! And the nutcracer piece is lovely as well!