Friday 16 November 2018

The People Chose ...💎

Head over to Jo @ Serendipitous Stitching to see what I'm talking about.


I was born in June, and have only ever used Alexandrite as my birthstone. My class ring from High School is Alexandrite and I love how it changes colours depending on the light.

There are several June birthstones, depending on the actual birthstone interpretation chart. Some authors enumerate as many as 10 stones that correspond to this month. The modern interpretation of birthstones includes Pearls, Moonstone and Alexandrite as the stones characteristic for month June. The second most popular interpretation, the traditional chart, speaks of Cat’s eye, Turquoise, Agate, and Alexandrite. Here, we will focus our attention to AlexandritePearls, and Moonstone, as the modern classification suggests.



The color changing Alexandrite is certainly the most expensive of the three, and even more so if you want to possess a gem-quality specimen. Pearls are also expensive, especially if you are looking for a genuine, non-cultivated gem. Moonstone is least expensive, but it doesn’t mean that you have to settle for an inferior birthstone. Some Moonstones can look fantastic, and be equally desirable as the most desirable precious stones.


As for stitching birthstones, I've got nothing, nada, zilch, zero!
But I do have a couple for my birth month.



And like Jo, I've got my eye on this one too!

And it would be perfect for next month... Dragons!

9 comments:

RJ said...

I love your June stitches...especially the first one. I'm not familiar with your birth stone...do you have a photo you could show us? RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Vickie said...

I have a June birthday also. Like you too, I grew up being told my birthstone was Alexandrite. Then pearl.

rosey175 said...

I have only ever heard of pearl for the month of June but alexandrite does look lovely! I have always liked moonstone too.

Julie said...

I only knew of pearl as the June birthstone. The alexandrite is very pretty.
Nice stitching, I recognise both of those designs.

Penny said...

My son's birthday is in June, and he chose Alexandrite for his class ring, too. It's a beautiful stone. Love your stitched pieces - the honeysuckle one is especially pretty!

Bethan said...

Thanks for an interesting post - I had only heard of pearl as the June birthstone, but Alexandrite is gorgeous! Great stitching too x

Faith... said...

What pretty birthstones you have to pick from. Very nice stitching pieces!

Katie said...

How funny that you get so many different stones. I guess May Emerald is just boring haha.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the SAL this month. I love the changes you made to the photo at the top!
Alexandrite is such a pretty stone, you are lucky to have a good choice.