Monday 8 December 2014

Day 8 of the Advent Calendar Blog Hop

It's that time of year again for Jo @ Serendipitous Stitching to host her Online Advent Calendar! 

This is an oldie, but a goodie.  I made this for my parents many years ago, it was one of my first "big" ones.  

This was a quick stitch I made last year, but I'm not quite sure I like the framing for it.  It's not entirely finished, so I can still change it.

As for my best present ever?  I don't really recall having one specific present, but growing up I couldn't wait to get my annuals from Britain.  I went from the little kids books, up to the "big" girl books - Bunty, Judy, misc others, and then My Guy.  I also got to read my brother's Beano and Dandy books.  Christmas day was spending doing a lot of reading!
And now, my boys read the Beano and Dandy so the tradition continues.

And for fun, the misfit toys have found a home!

Be sure to head over to Gracie @ Needles Pins and Dragonflies for tomorrow's door.

14 comments:

Mouse said...

oooooo very nice ... you take after me re the books although mine and my sisters are long gone to new homes , loved getting them all and re reading them :) love mouse xxxx

Christine said...

Lovely stitching! I always used to look forward to the annuals as well

Linda said...

Lovely post Astrid. I love that first piece you stitched.

Linda

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part this year. Your two pieces are great, is the second a JBW?

I love the collection of annuals. Jinty was my comic and then Blue Jeans when I was a little older. Then I moved onto Kerrang! I am amazed you still have the entire collection, so envious. I also read Misty which had really good spooky stories.

Katie said...

Beautiful stitching! I think the frame is fantastic. I always loved reading growing up. My son loves it now and I'm so thankful for that. I never take time to read any more because I would rather be stitching haha.

Annie said...

Fun trip down memory lane. I love that piece with the carolers. Such an unusal shape for the framing too.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful stitches

cheryl said...

Sweet stitching. Merry Christmas!

Kaisievic said...

Two lovely stitched pieces, Astrid, I am just stitching the bells in fuschia pink for the upcoming wedding. Wonderful story about the books and reading.

jocondine said...

So nice stitching specially the christmas choir, love the colors. Merry Christmas to your family - Joyeux Noël ;)

Jacqueline Morris said...

Just getting round to doing the Advent blog hop! So popping in on you! Ooooh your Christmas stitching is lovely :)
Oh lovely memories.. I too was a Beano reader! Love Dennis The Menace! ha ha yes I passed that onto my daughter too :)
Merry Christmas
Smiles :)

Emma/Itzy said...

I always used to look forward to an annual from Grandma! Usually a Twinkle, My Little Pony or Sylvanian Families one :)

Gillie said...

I also got Girl comic and annual. Love the stitching.

Unknown said...

Lovely stitching and I like the framing. The annuals took me back - Bunty was my favourite