Saturday 24 August 2024

A Lovely Sponge! 😋

I know this was yesterday, but I do love sponge cake and I just started making them.


This was my first attempt, for my DH's birthday last month. 
I totally wasn't paying attention to the recipe and didn't use self rising flour or baking powder. 
Can you tell?! It came out of the oven the same size as it went in!
It wasn't terrible, but it definitely could have been better.
I

Then I made this one last week for a weekend getaway with friends.


Ah, so much better! Next time I think I'll make a regular one instead of chocolate. 
Has anyone ever made a lemon sponge?


While we were with our friends, three of us decided we needed tea, and it was wonderful.



 





6 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never made a sponge cake but I do enjoy imbibing it.
Your tea looks so lovely and it must have been good if the smiling faces are any indication.

Stasi said...

I love a good tea room!!!

Vickie said...

I have never even had sponge cake! Or been to a tea room! Good for you! :) :)

diamondc said...

Astrid: The cakes look lovely, I only wish i lived near you to have a bite of one of them, the tea shop looks wonderful, Queen Elizabeth was so beautiful even in her upper years.
Thank-you for sharing these lovely photos.

Catherine

Shelly said...

The tea outing looked like fun! Your sponges look delicious, especially the sugar dusted chocolate sponge.

Katie said...

The tea outing looks fun. I'm normally not a sponge cake person. I prefer brownies because they are worse for me haha.