Friday 12 July 2019

Friday's Stitching Ground đŸ„

Well, this is not where I expected to be stitching today, the hospital.
The Sweetheart Tree, Celebrate Summer.


On Tuesday, my parents dog died and on Thursday morning my Mom was taken to the hospital. They think she suffered a mild heart attack, probably from the upset of Tenny.
Here's the email my Dad send me...

Dear Astrid,
    The unthinkable has happened and our beloved and darling Tenny is no longer with us. I took her down to the animal hospital at 8.30 a.m. and snuggled in my arms she was given an injection, and within two seconds at the most was gone and with her went a large part of us.
     Our grief is devastating, as we have never loved a pet as much as we did Tenny, and she was our baby. As Mom said, "it is now just the two of us". Our lives will never be the same again with our little protector gone and for thirteen faithful years she has always been here for us. Who needed a security system when Tenny could hear everything. From the very day she entered our lives Tenny has never spent a night apart until tonight.
     Tenny shared Mom's pain and suffering and was her constant and faithful companion. Those adoring big brown eyes some how helped to ease the pain. Through the year of hell (2018) Tenny's adoring little face greeted me every time I returned from the hospital or Lions and she gave me the strength to go on.
     Mom will miss her beloved little friend when she attends chapel as Tenny was always there in the front pew. I have no reason now to go for walks and everywhere we look there are memories which will never fade.
     Sleep well our beautiful and darling little girl, free from all pain and suffering. We will never forget the joy you brought into our lives from the first moment we cuddled you in Tennessee, blessing and enriching our lives.
     Don't be afraid, little one, as you are in a better place, and one day we'll spend eternity walking happily once again on Route 66. God Bless, Tenny, and we shall always keep you close to our hearts, treasuring the years we had together.
                                                                                             Love, Mom, Dad but sadly no more our beloved Tenny xxx


I came to the hospital today instead of visiting tomorrow like I had planned. While I was there, Mom and Dad told me they want to get another Pekingese. So we started looking online, first for a rescue but weren't able to find one that was somewhat close or fit what they were looking for. Then for a puppy, and we found this sweet girl in "nearby" West Virginia. So it looks like they're getting her, and I might be picking her up at the end of the month for them. They have already named her, meet Addie. The significance of that name is that's what my younger brother used to call me when he was little because he couldn't say my name. Guess who'll be getting a dog sometime in the future - hopefully a long time from now!


Mom just melted when she saw her picture, so I hope it all works out and they get her like they are planning. She will definitely cheer them BOTH up, even though I know as a puppy she'll be a lot of work! 

I'd like to stitch them a little something in memory of Tenny, so hopefully I'll find a pattern similar to her. I have a couple of books to look at at home, I think one might be in there.

Please say a prayer for my Mom (and Dad), she might be able to come home tomorrow, but most likely on Sunday. I'll be here until Sunday morning, so I can keep Dad company at night until she gets home.

13 comments:

Karyn said...

Oh dear friend, what a week! I am so sorry about your Mom, but thankful that it seems to be resolving itself and is mild in nature.I am so sorry to hear the pain and sadness in your Dad's email, as I can't imagine what that must have been like for you tor read it. I am saying lots of prayers for your parents and for you, as I know all too well how rough it is to see our aging parents go through rough times. I will also hope for good things to happen on the puppy front.
Please keep us posted
Hugs

Linda said...

I'm so sorry Astrid. It is always so hard to lose a pet. We lost one of our cats in April. I'm so glad your mom is doing better. Addie is a little cutie. She will bring them much joy. Your dad's email brought tears to my eyes. Hopefully Addie can cheer them up.

Linda

Vickie said...

Oh Astrid, I am so very sorry. Your dear mother and father. You can be certain I will be sending them a card. Oh my. A puppy. A puppy? I was really, really hoping you would find a rescue pekingese for them at their age. I suppose, if you are willing to take it in once they are gone. I hate to see elderly dogs end up in at the shelters. So very, very many do. It is tragic. I know another little pekingese will comfort them.

sheila said...

i had to put down my beloved, fourteen-year old cat, bessie on tuesday. my heart is broken--she was always with me--my constant companion. i understand the pain you and your parents are feeling.

Annie said...

So sorry to hear of all these problems. Hope your Mom continues to improve and they get the new doggie. You are a good, supportive daughter.

Julie said...

Sad news for the family. So hard when a much loved pet has crossed the rainbow bridge. Addie looks a sweetheart, I hope she goes some way in helping to heal the hearts of your parents and gives Mom hope and something to look forward to.
Love and blessings to you al xx

Barb said...

I do know how devastating it is to loose a beloved pet. I hope the new puppy will cheer them both up! Your Dad's email was so very sad!!!! I hope your mom is comfortably at home and dreaming of her new puppy! She will be in my prayers!

Faith... said...

I am so sorry to hear about our Mom. I do hope she got to go home yesterday. Poor Tenny, I am sure she brought them many happy joyful years and I hope that Addie will do the same! She is adorable and like you say she will be a lot of work but I think your parents will be overjoyed with the challenges she brings!

Katie said...

Oh no I'm so very sorry. Your poor parents. Losing a dog is like losing a family member to me. Then it's hard because there are so many people that act like you don't deserve to be sad. It's "JUST a dog". Grrr. I do hope your mother feels better soon and enjoys her new lovely puppy.

Astrids dragon said...

Thank you, Sheila. I'm sorry to hear about your Bessie, it's never easy saying goodbye to our furbabies.

FlashinScissors said...

Oh, Astrid! I’m so sorry to hear of your parents loss. As a pet owner of many many years I know what it is like to lose a cherished pet.
I was very touched to read your dad’s email, and I do hope Addie will help you all.
I hope it’s not a mistake to get a puppy though as we got “new to us” cats (rescue cats) a couple of years ago, and, although they weren’t kittens, these two are so much more work than any we had before! We love them to bits and they do repay us for that, but they are sooo much work! And soooo demanding! Tee hee!
I really hope your mother is starting to feel better by now.
Hugs,
Barbara xx

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of Tenny, I can understand why it upset your Mum so much. I do hope the new little puppy will help take her mind off things. It will definitely keep your Dad busy!

Rachel said...

I hope you mom is getting better now. Addie looks adorable and although she will never replace the years of memories and loss of Tenny she will hopefully form lots of new ones.